Acne is the most common skin condition affecting teens and adults in the U.S. It can cause blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, or cysts to form on the skin. If you are struggling with acne, your Boulder dermatologist could prescribe an effective treatment for you and offer tips for achieving clearer skin. At CU Dermatology Boulder, Dr. Anthony Parris and Kimberly Bacharach, PA-C are your dermatology professionals in Boulder, CO.
Cause of Acne
Acne is often the result of clogged pores caused by sebum and debris. The skin naturally produces sebum, which helps keep the skin moisturized. Sebum also works to keep the pores clear by pushing dirt and debris out as it travels along hair follicles inside the pores. When the natural process of sebum production is interrupted, sebum and debris can become trapped in the pores and clog them, leading to the development of pimples or other forms of acne.
A variety of methods are available for treating acne. Your Boulder dermatologist can recommend the right treatment or combination of treatments for your skin based on the type of acne you are experiencing. Some acne treatments target existing acne and work to clear it up, while other treatments work to prevent additional breakouts. Treatment options are also available that both clear up existing acne and prevent new acne from forming. Some treatments for acne include:
- Topical ointments — Applied directly to the skin to unclog pores to clear up existing acne.
- Oral medications — Ingested orally to reduce inflammation and target bacteria in the pores.
- Laser therapy — Clears up existing acne by killing bacteria and decreasing sebum production.
- Chemical peels — Exfoliation clears and prevents acne by reducing inflammation and unclogging pores.
Tips for Clearer Skin
There are several steps you can take on your own to achieve and maintain clearer skin in combination with an acne treatment prescribed by your Boulder dermatologist. Tips for clearer skin include:
- Cleanse the skin twice daily
- Cleanse the skin after working out or sweating
- Use a non-abrasive cleanser on the skin
- Rinse the skin with lukewarm water
- Avoid touching your face throughout the day
- Wash your hair regularly, especially if it is prone to being oily
- Limit your skin’s exposure to the sun or tanning beds
If you struggle with acne, your Boulder, CO, dermatologist could help by providing tips for dealing with acne and recommending an effective treatment. For the treatment of your acne, schedule an appointment with Dr. Parris or Kimberly Bacharach, PA-C, contact CU Dermatology Boulder at (303) 315-9980.